I read 'The Four Agreements' (by Don Miguel Ruiz) several years ago and I truly believe that it should be compulsory reading in schools, it is so powerful and yet so simple.
I created little cards of the actual agreements and stuck them to my bathroom mirror to help me learn to live by this wonderfully practical Toltec Wisdom.
THE FOUR AGREEMENTS ARE…
• Be impeccable with your word
• Don’t take things personally
• Don’t make assumptions
• Always do your best
BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD…
• Speak with integrity
• Say only what you mean
• Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others
• Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love
DON’T TAKE THINGS PERSONALLY…
• Nothing others do is because of you
• What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream
• When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering
DON’T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS…
• Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want
• Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama
• With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life
ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST…
• Your best is going to change from moment to moment
• It will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick
To be honest, I’m still ‘a work in progress’, but I’ve never forgotten the four agreements and they have certainly influenced my life.
No one has ever abused you more than you have abused yourself and the limit of your self-abuse is the limit that you will tolerate from someone else.
I remember reading that and thinking OMG THAT IS POWERFUL STUFF! and I‘ve never forgotten it.
In The Four Agreements, don Miguel reveals the source of self-limiting agreements that rob us of joy and create needless suffering. When we are ready to change these agreements, there are four deceptively simple, yet powerful agreements that we can adopt as guiding principles. Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, the Four Agreements offer a powerful code of conduct that can rapidly transform our lives to a new experience of freedom, true happiness, and love.
How does it get any better than that?
We currently carry The Four Agreements in the following forms
• Card Deck